Participants & Partners
The controller with regard to the processing of your personal data is the company/association identified as the responsible for the event/activity (hereinafter “event”) for which you register. Contact information is available on the website of the event for which you register.
Meet U There is the organizer of the event on behalf of the above-mentioned company/association. Hence, Meet U There is considered the sub-contractor of the controller within the meaning of the privacy legislation.
Who does our data protection policy apply to?
This policy applies to our present and former customers (registered for our events). It also applies to all our current and former suppliers as well current and former speakers.
Categories of data being processed
We may process the following types of data, according to our relationship with you and depending on the type of event you are involved in:
- Name, first name, gender, language, job title
- Your business data: Postal address, fixed and/or mobile telephone number, email address
- Details of your company: name, legal form, postal address, fixed and/or mobile phone number, email address, VAT number and company registration number, contact persons
- Billing address
- Transaction, contract and payment history
- Financial details (e.g. bank account number, credit card)
- Specific data related to the activities in which you are involved: e. g. your size, shoe size, passport number/identity card (processing for security purposes),…
- Recording date and source of the information
- Pictures taken during the event
Use of your data and legal basis
With your consent (legal basis: Article 6a of the privacy legislation), we collect and process data for the following specific purposes:
- To answer questions over our website or any other communication channel
- To send you the newsletters to which you have subscribed.
You may withdraw your consent at any time (see below, “Exercising your rights”)
In the context of offer requests or the performance of your contract (legal basis: Article 6b of the privacy legislation), we collect and process data for the following specific purposes:
- To manage your participation to the events/activities you register for
- To execute your contract or handle your offer request
- For the general administration of our customers and suppliers, including accounting, the handling of disputes and lawsuits, recovery or transfer of receivables, and the protection of our rights in general
Where we have a legitimate interest in the context of our marketing activities or in the context of the practical performance of our economic activities (legal basis: Article 6f of the privacy legislation), we collect and process data for the following specific purposes:
- In accordance with the law, we may send you emails about our activities on the basis of your implicit consent if you have given us your email address when a contract has been concluded. You may object to such use at any time (you can easily unsubscribe by clicking on the link at the bottom of each email).
- To contact you for the purpose of marketing our products and services, where appropriate on the basis of your marketing profile
- To contact you as a possible candidate speaker when we are looking for speakers
- To conduct surveys, tests and analyses (including customer or market surveys) with a view to improving our products, internal procedures and overall service
- To perform statistical or trend analyses for financial management, marketing or reporting purposes
- To prevent or combat fraud and abuse
To meet the legal requirements we must comply with (legal basis: Article 6c of the privacy legislation):
In certain cases, we are also subject to legal obligations requiring the processing and/or transmission of certain personal data to the administrative authorities or institutions appointed by law.
Transmission of your personal data to third parties
Your data may be communicated to third parties in the following cases:
- To our subcontractors in the context of services we ask them to perform on our behalf (e.g. Meet U There who organizes the event on our behalf, our IT subcontractors, email platforms, debt collection agencies, etc.) and solely in accordance with our instructions
- To our legal successors
- To companies belonging to the same group for similar purposes
- To certain authorities in order to comply with our legal obligations
Transmission of data outside the European Union
Your personal data are not transmitted outside the European Union.
How long will your data be stored in our database?
Your personal data will not be kept for longer than is necessary for the intended purposes. The retention period may vary according to the purpose for which the data are processed.
- Customers:10 years after your last participation in our event.This retention period does not apply if you owe an unpaid debt. In this case, your data will be kept for as long as the debt remains outstanding.
- Suppliers: 10 years after the expiry date of your contract
- Newsletter: Until you unsubscribe for the newsletter
- Archiving: Your personal data may also be kept longer for other purposes, for instance to comply with our legal obligations (e.g. accounting and tax obligations) or if we need to submit certain information as evidence in a lawsuit. Access to archived data is restricted.
Security of your data
We make every effort to take the organizational and technical security measures that are appropriate and necessary to protect your data and to respect your privacy, in particular in order to prevent the loss, unlawful use or modification of the information that we collect.
Our staff who have access to your data are made aware of the fact that they are processing personal data that are protected by law, and may only access those data insofar as is necessary to carry out their duties in a proper manner.
Description of your rights and how to exercise them
Right of access and rectification
In accordance with the privacy legislation, you have the right to access your data. You also have the right to ask us to correct inaccurate information concerning you or to complete incomplete information.
Right to withdraw your consent
If you have given your consent to the processing of your personal data, you may withdraw that consent at any time.
Right to object
You have the right to object to the processing of your data at any time and without having to justify your decision in the cases specified by law.
Right to erasure
You also have the right to request that your data be erased entirely from our database in the cases specified by law.
Right to restriction of processing
If you contest the processing of your data, you may request the restriction of processing of your personal data. In this case, we will cease to use your data until the dispute has been settled.
Right to portability of your data
You may request the portability of the data which you have communicated to us. In this case, we will transmit them to the recipient of your choice.
Exercising your rights
You must send us a request in writing. We reserve the right to ask you to prove your identity (in order to avoid disclosing your data to other persons).
You may write to the address mentioned on the particular website.
In accordance with the privacy legislation, your request will be handled within thirty days from the moment we are in possession of all the information necessary to handle your request.
If your request is complex, this time limit may be extended by up to two months, but we will notify you in advance.
You may also appeal to the Data Protection Authority at this address: Rue de la Presse 35, 1000 Brussels, or by email at email@example.com.